Leadership within the Organizational context
This course is a core learning requirement for completing the Values Based Leadership series.
This course looks at leadership considerations within an organizational structure, focusing on how leaders can support an organizational commitment to values and community through embedding values within the organizational structure and day-to-day activities of the organization. Students should come prepared with copies of the values, vision, and/or mission of their organization for reference throughout the course.
Within this course, students will:
- Examine organizational values, vision, and/or mission
- Understand leadership requirements within the context of a values-based, community-focused organization
- Explore ethical principles and strategies for “well-run” organizations
- Consider examples of “values in action”
Students will be required to complete the following learning activities:
1. Prepare (Monday to Wednesday)
Topical resources (e.g., readings, videos) and notes will introduce relevant foundational concepts and helpful tips/strategies for your work.
2. Join (Wednesday, 12:00 – 12:30pm)
Live 30-minute webinars will provide the opportunity for students to hear directly from the instructor further exploring the topic. Students should watch for the access information to be distributed via the news forum (or email directly from your instructor). If any student is unable to attend live, a webinar recording will be made available for later review.
3. Discuss (Thursday to Saturday)
Active engagement in the topical discussion is the students’ opportunity to apply their learning, ask for clarification from their instructions, and connect with peers.
4. Reflect (Due Sunday)