Leadership & Communication
This course is an elective learning requirement for completing the Values Based Leadership series.
Strong interpersonal communication skills are foundational for effective, values-based leadership. In this course, students will learn the role communication plays, review communication skills, and explore communication barriers/challenges.
Within this course, students will:
- Review the basics of effective communication (e.g., levels of communication, barriers, feedback)
- Understand the roles listening and non-verbal communication play in leadership
- Examine how public speaking and conflict management are relevant to leadership
Students will be required to complete the following learning activities:
1. Prepare (Monday to Wednesday)
Topical resources (e.g., readings, videos) and notes will introduce relevant foundational concepts and helpful tips/strategies for your work.
2. Join (Wednesday, 12:00 – 12:30pm)
Live 30-minute webinars will provide the opportunity for students to hear directly from the instructor further exploring the topic. Students should watch for the access information to be distributed via the news forum (or email directly from your instructor). If any student is unable to attend live, a webinar recording will be made available for later review.
3. Discuss (Thursday to Saturday)
Active engagement in the topical discussion is the students’ opportunity to apply their learning, ask for clarification from their instructions, and connect with peers.
4. Reflect (Due Sunday)